When it comes to surviving in the ever-competitive restaurant industry, there’s no silver bullet — there’s an art and science to thriving, growing, and evolving over the years. OpenTable partnered with Kristen Hawley, founder of the popular Chefs + Tech newsletter, to create How to Grow & Thrive in the Restaurant Business, the ultimate guide to serving guests and growing your business at every phase of a restaurant’s lifecycle.
Kristen talked to the industry’s top groups and restaurateurs— including Chef Eric Ripert of New York’s famed Le Bernardin; Los Angeles restaurateur Bill Chait, formerly of the Sprout group; and Kevin Boehm of Chicago’s BOKA Group — to share their tips and best practices (and red flags!) in this definitive resource. The guide covers everything from setting up your operations and building a social media following to expanding to new concepts and locations.
In the guide, you’ll learn how to:
- Tell your story across social media and go viral with videos
- Use reservations as a media moment and create buzz well after an opening
- Tweak your front-of-house flow to boost covers and revenue
- Scale a successful concept to a new market, protecting your vision
- Build a loyal base of regulars to keep you busy during shoulder times and snow storms
When a restaurant is successful, it’s easy to say, “They got lucky.” But sustained success and growth are more than just a lucky draw. Hear from renowned chefs, restaurateurs, and experts on what it really takes to build and run a thriving restaurant business. Let their knowledge and experience guide you as you plan for the future of your restaurant business — whether it’s your first year or your 30th.